Last weekend my grandparents came to visit. It was my Grandpa's first time meeting Willow. We were all so happy to have them here. Grandpa Zip is Willow's only living Great-Grandpa. We wish she could've met her other three! Here are some shots from the weekend:
Meanwhile, flu madness has hit the Jenson household. We've completely bought into the hysteria!
Seriously though, it's very important that Willow not get seasonal or H1N1. With her Chronic Lung Disease, any respiratory illness such as flu would be very bad for her. She got her first seasonal flu shot in early October, and of course the shortage of H1N1 vaccines available was completely stressing us out, particularly since we seem to know more and more people who've gotten that flu. Here's a timeline of our crazy week:
Sunday night: Willow woke up twice at night crying and had a runny nose. We completely panicked and brought her to the doctor the next morning. Doctor said she's fine, lungs sounded clear and we should get a humidifier. The runny nose lasted 2 days with no other symptoms. She's fine now.
Monday: my work had a flu shot clinic. they were only giving H1N1 shots to employees with direct patient care duties, which I'm not. So I went to the clinic prepared to cause a scene if necessary in order to get the shot. I even brought a photo of Willow just after birth so they would understand the importance of my getting vaccinated. Luckily I didn't need to create a spectacle, because the person deciding who'd get it or not was someone I know, Theresa, who knows about Willow and understood right away. Thanks, Theresa!
Tuesday: we found out Josh's coworker, who he spent time in an enclosed truck with, got the H1N1. So we decided to quarantine Josh to my parents' house for the night, while my mom stayed here with Willow and I.
Wednesday: We got Willow and Josh in for their H1N1 shots. Willow needs two, a month apart, to be protected, and this was her first. Unfortunately, although there apparently exists a Thimerosol-free injected vaccine for babies under 2, there were none of those available in our whole county. So we had to inject Willow with mercury. It was a difficult decision, particularly since we've been so careful and have gone to such lengths up to now to ensure Willow only got the safest vaccines, and on a schedule that's acceptable to us. But in the end we decided the risk to her from H1N1 was greater than the risk from the thimerosol. We hope it wasn't too late for Josh. He was quarantined again Wednesday night.
Thursday: We got Linda in for her H1N1 shot. We feel very fortunate we were all able to get the shot, since there is a shortage. Josh is back home - we missed him too much - but he's wearing a mask and staying away from Willow. We won't know for sure for a few more days whether he is OK or not.
Meanwhile, Willow still hasn't gotten her synagis. The insurance/bureocracy rigamarole continues. It blows my mind how hard it can be to get Willow what she needs to stay healthy! But, I think (hope) we have it sorted and she should be getting it early next week.
In other news, I've begun the process of weaning my pump. I googled around for advice and learned there's a whole online community out there of "EP" (Exclusive Pump)-ers. Who knew? I ended up devising my own method of increasing the time between pumpings by 5 minutes each day. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but I think it's necessary. I'm sensitive, alright? I'm up to 4 hours, 15 minutes, and so far (mostly) so good. I'm so excited! I'm in no hurry to stop completely, but I want to reduce it, for sure.
Finally, Willow has given up her paci. It was actually pretty easy.
My mom and grandma said she looks like a baby from Laura Ingalls Wilder days in this nightgown. Isn't it cute?
That's all, folks! Happy Friday, and stay healthy!
Bye bye to Tat
6 months ago