Thursday, January 1, 2009

19 weeks, 5 days

Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a fun New Year's Eve. We had a pretty chill night at Ruth and Chad's house and they made a delicious Indian feast, which was awesome. I made lassi, which is this yummy Indian yogurt drink, so that was sort of my booze substitute. I was just happy I managed to stay up until midnight!

Our exciting baby news of the week is that we felt and saw it moving! I had been feeling something, maybe, for a week or so, but I wasn't really sure if it was the baby or just gas or something. It didn't feel like much and it really didn't feel like the "flutter" you always hear about, so I just didn't know. But then on Monday night before bed, I was reading my tummy a book, "Are You My Mother?". It's about a baby bird...whatever. Anyway, about halfway through the book I started feeling something; I guess "poking" is the best way I can think of to describe it, not flutter. It was pretty strong and I knew it wasn't gas. Then I looked at my tummy and I could actually see it - like, it was poking and you could see it through my skin. Frickin' weird! So I yelled for Josh and he came up and got to see it too, and feel it as well. It was so cool. I guess I was surpised because I was under the impression that I'd be able to feel it for a long time before Josh would be able to. Maybe I had been feeling it for a while but just didn't know it. I wonder if the baby liked that book, or the sound of my voice, or if it was just coincidence I felt it kick while I was reading to it.

When we were down in the Twin Cities last weekend for Christmas, we went on a little shopping spree and got a crib, a changing table, and a "pack and play", which is basically a playpen. It was a relief to get those two furniture pieces out of the way. I'd love to "keep it up, keep it in the U.P.", but I had done some research before we left, and there are just no stores around here that sell any of the kinds of cribs we wanted.

I'll take another belly photo this weekend for the 20-week mark.

No comments: